EDRS was founded on 12 February 1935. Very slow progress was made and the outbreak of war in 1939 dispersed the members. At the end of 1945 the synagogue was reinstated and sustained extensive growth. In 1948 Rabbi Ignaz Maybaum was appointed Minister and served the community for 15 years.
By the time Rabbi Maybaum retired in 1963 he had introduced and overseen much change, including the building of a new synagogue in 1955. Membership was around 700 families.
Rabbi Michael Leigh joined the synagogue in 1963 and during this tenure the membership of EDRS grew to around 1800 families. The opening of the new Community Centre in 1991 enabled all our activities to take place on our own premises and acted as a stimulus for new and exciting youth and community activities as well as doubling as a synagogue seatins 700 members during the High Holyday Services.
Rabbi Daniel Smith was appointed as Senior Minister upon the retirement of Rabbi Leigh and in 2002 Rabbi Neil Kraft became our Associate Minister.
Our synagogue reflects the more traditional wing of Reform Judaism. A high proportion of our service is in Hebrew and we do not use an organ. Men and women alike play prominent and equal roles in Services and in running the synagogue.
EDRS has now grown to become the largest synagogue in Europe, with approximately 2000 families. Through the regular publication of our synagogue magazine EMET and other promotions we keep in touch with all our members, publicising the vast range of activities available for all ages.
For more information on any aspects of the synagogue activities please contact the synagogue office on 0201 8958 9782 or email:
Adar 5764 - March 2004