Kibbutz Erez, situated 18 kilometers south of Ashkelon, was founded in 1949 on sand dunes near the Gaza Strip. It is one of 11 settlements in the Shaar Hanegev Regional Council. "Erez" is Hebrew for cedar tree.
The kibbutz's founding members were pioneer youth from the Noar Oved (United Kibbutz) movement. Primary economic fields today include field crops, orchards, citrus groves, animal husbandry, and "Erez Thermoplastics Products".
Kibbutz Erez numbers 402 members.
Photo caption: Baby chicks are breed in plastic chicken coop at Erez R&D station