Moshava with municipal status, on the coastal plain of Israel, 13 km south of Rehovot.
Gedera was founded in 1884 by members of the Bilumovement from Russia and was the only veteran mosahava free of Baron Edmond de Rothschild's support.
Its name is derived from the neighboring Arab village Quatra, which most scholars assume to be identical with the biblical town of Gedera belonging to the tribe of Judah.
In its early years, grapes and grains constituted the moshava's principal agricultural branches. Later, citrus orchards and other field crops were added. In the 1930's, a few industrial enterprises were developed and number of convalescence houses and sanatoria were built.
In the early 1990's, Gedera attained a population of some 6,500. The moshava's principal economic branches are: agriculture, industry, commerce and holiday accomodation.