Kibbutz Hanita was founded in 1938 in a period known as Homa Umigdal - Tower and Stockade. In the face of British prohibition against establishing new settlements, the Jewish Agency set up a series of "overnight towns" relying on an un-revoked Turkish Law allowing any building to remain intact once a roof has been placed on it. The settlers prefabricated the walls and roof of the new kibbutz' dining hall. Its double wooden walls were filled with gravel for protection against Arab snipers, and a prefabricated wooden watchtower was likewise at hand.
During Hanita's first year of existence, ten of its residents were murdered by Arab snipers. The kibbutz came to demarcate Israel's border with Lebanon in the Western Galilee.
Visitors to Kibbutz Hanita can visit a museum highlighting the pre-State struggle, and can climb a model "Tower and Stockade" in picnic grounds adjacent to it.
Kibbutz Hanita, located in the Mate Asher Regional Council numbers 598 residents.
For information on Kibbutz Hanita in the Partnership 2000.