The Local Council of Kiryat Malachi is located 17 kilometers southeast of Ashdod, one of Israel's two main port cities.
The town was founded in 1951 to replace a "tent city" housing refugees from Arab countries. Kiryat Malachi, which means "Angels Town", was named in honor of the Los Angeles Jewish Community which helped establish and develop it.
Kiryat Malachi absorbed more than 2,000 new immigrants during the present decade - including many immigrants from Ethiopia - bringing its total population to 20,100.
Photo Caption: New immigrants from Ethiopia welcome Partnership 2000 visitors from the United States Western Region.
For information on Partnership 2000 and Kiryat Malachi.