9. ANTISEMITISM THEN AND TODAY
GoalExplore and evaluate the major themes of antisemitism; continuation of Activity no.8.
MaterialsCopies of quotations (below); ADL website & "How To Fight Hate" by ADL.
La Libre Parole
- Throughout this terrible affair there are nothing but Jews
- Jews are vampires
- ... whether it is a matter of theft, corruption or treason of our country, the Jew always leads the attack...
This man is running a business in the manner of all Sem's descendants.
Modern France has abandoned G-d and lives only for money, an influence of which the Jews are guilty.
The further one is from the Jews, the closer one is to the people.
- Distribute copies of the quotations from the Dreyfus Affair. Ask if participants have encountered similar remarks in their own lives or in any of the media.
- Draw out the main themes in antisemitism at the time of the Dreyfus Affair.
- Consider whether it exists overtly or latently in your own country and - if so - how it is similar/different to that of France 100 years ago.
- Can the study of the Dreyfus Affair change one's attitudes and behaviour as a Jew? If so, how?
- How should Jews react to antisemitism today?