6. CONTEMPORARY EXTEMPORE 1 - MEDIA
GoalTranslate and differentiate messages in the contemporary context. Sense of achievement from involvement and production.
MaterialsArticles, in sufficient copies. Media equipment.
Procedure1. As a group, invent a modern situation with parallels to the Dreyfus case and its aftermath, building the scenario from start to finish.
List the various factors which can influence the outcome: secret service, military, politics, the mass media...
2. Add into the scenario all the electronic means of communication such as fax machines, TV (satellite and cable), E-mail etc. and divide into groups as follows:
* the accused and family
* Jewish supporters
* non-Jewish supporters
* State of Israel
* Jews in other countries
* Media (may be more than one group)
3. Decide whether the final product is to be a short documentary, a public trial, magazine (TV or press), slide presentation ...
4. Each group has some time to prepare or adapt its game plan from the original scenario and then work begins. Ensure that groups keep busy most of the time - insert instructions to demonstrate or make hand- outs to keep them occupied.