1 - PORTRAIT PUZZLE QUIZ
GoalReview knowledge; stimulate interest and reading
MaterialsPhoto of Captain Dreyfus' public disgrace - with a copy for each group pasted on poster board (a different colour for each group) and cut into 9-piece puzzles.
Source materials from this bulletin. The Saga
Questions on the Dreyfus case - add a number of your own questions or there will not be enough for 3 or 4 groups. Please check their suita- bility for your group and adapt as necessary.
- Divide everyone into groups of 4-6 players.
- Ask each group a question in turn. Award a piece of puzzle for each correct answer.
- Encourage use of source materials in finding answers.
- When did the so-called "Dreyfus Affair" begin?
- What was the accusation against Captain Dreyfus?
- For what country was he accused of spying?
- Who discovered the copy of the documents which Dreyfus was accused of taking?
- Was the accusation against Dreyfus justified? Why?
- Who were the main figures in the Dreyfus Afair?
- What were Dreyfus' origins?
- What were Dreyfus' circle of supporters called?
- When did this circle of supporters begin to grow?
- What term was first coined in 1898 by Clemenceau to describe a group of people?
- Who was Emile Zola?
- When did Zola's book, "J'Accuse", appear?
- Who was the first important Jewish figure to rush to Dreyfus' defence?
- What was the reaction of the right-wing press?
- What are the causes of antisemitism?
- Before the age of television, what medium played a major role in the Affair?
- On p.... there is a description of Caran-D'Ache: make a cartoon from it.
- Make up a slogan to promote a new liberation movement to be called Zionism.
- Why did the Jewish public believe in Dreyfus' guilt for so long?
- What is the picture on the puzzle?
What is the date of the event depicted on the puzzle?
- October 1894
- High Treason for which he was condemned unanimously to be publicly stripped of his rank and sent into permanent exile on Devil's Island.
- Commander Henry of the Intelligence Services.
- No. Because the evidence was inadequate. a) One of the experts confirmed that there were differences between Dreyfus' writing and that on the documents. b) A secret file with forged documents was given to the judges.
- They were called "Dreyfusards": Mathieu Dreyfus, Bernard Lazare, Emile Zola, Jean Jaures, Colonel Picquart.
The antidreyfusards were the antisemitic press, Edouard Drumont, Maurice Barres, General Mercier, Commandant Henry, the General Staff.
- He was from Mulhouse in the Alsace Province.
- End of 1897/early 1898 (January).
- A French writer and novelist of note and global fame as author of "Germinal", "L'Assomoir", "L'Argent", prior to the Trial.
- The front page of the newspaper "L'Aurore", 13th January 1898.
- Bernard Lazare.
- The right-wing press from the outset supported the army's position and later spearheaded the antisemitic campaign.
- Because Dreyfus was Jewish and because France was crying out for looking for a scapegoat to blame for mistakes and for problems which beset them.
- The Press. The Affair was the detonator for an outburst of polemics which in turn made it a subject of public opinion. It was the first time that public opinion in France had been mobilised this way, using the Press as a major channel of communication for both sides.
- Because of their French patriotism, which gave them an unshakeable faith in the Army and the country which had given them their freedom.
- The public disgrace of Captain Dreyfus, Courtyard of the Military Academy, 5th January 1895.