1. Erev Yom Kippur (eve of the fast): Purification,
, Minchah with the Vidui (confession), Se'udah Mafseket (pre-fast meal), blessing one's children.
2. 'It shall be a
(Sabbath of all rest days) for you.'
3. 'You are to torment your souls', i.e. make yourselves suffer. Five types of suffering are required:
- Abstention from food and drink;
- Abstention from washing;
- Abstention from annointing (smearing the body with oil, in order to keep cool in a very hot climate);
- Abstention from wearing leather shoes or sandals;
- Abstention from one's wife (or husband).
4. 'For on this day, He will
5. Yom Kippur as a day of remembering forgiveness, e.g.
'I have forgiven'. (
6. Yom Kippur does not grant pardon for wrongdoing against another person, until that other person is reconciled and forgives.
(the order of service in the Sanctuary or Holy of Holies) by the High Priest on Yom Kippur.
8. The importance of
(confession), recited ten times on Yom Kippur.
9. The five prayer services on Yom Kippur:
(Afternoon Service) - including the book of Jonah.
(Concluding Service) - and the Shofar.
10. After the fast:
Kiddush Levanah, Havdalah
; making a nominal start to the