1. Students should know that
is a festival in its own right.
2. Students should know what the name means.
3. Students should understand the connection between
(see 'Basic Ideas').
4. Students should understand the basic concepts of
(the prayer for rain).
5. Students should know the difference between
(the General Prayer for Rain) on
and the Prayer for Immediate Rain, said for the first time at a later date (7th of Heshvan in Israel; elsewhere on the 5th or 6th of December).
6. Students should understand why we start again at the beginning, immediately after completing the Torah reading cycle.
7. Students should know that there is no genuine rejoicing, except with the Torah.