Chanukah Resources in English
A. Jewish Agency & Affiliated Websites
Education Department – Chanukah home page
Education Department/Early Childhood
WZO Hagshama & Students Department
World Union of Jewish Students [WUJS]
B. Major Chanukah Resources – External Websites
Teachers, Families & Children
- Teachers, students family
- Overview and study
- Files for reading online or download
- Comprehensive background, guides, laws and customs, stories, family activities and recipes. Audio & video downloads.
Akhlah – Jewish Children’s Learning Network
Academy BJE, Sydney, Australia
Ben Ish Chai
Chabad Virtual Chanukah
- Children & families; adults
- Intro; edutainment; study.
- Text, games video/audio
- Background, how-to guide, brachot, stories, interactive games cards, songs, recipes, video audio classes and insight articles for adults.
English Teachers Network in Israel [ETNI]
- Children, families
- Files with visual models
- 10 activity ideas: colouring pages, crafts, decorations, games, origami: models for Menorah, dreidl…
The Holiday Spot
- Children, Families
- Introductory, leisure/fun
- Files; visuals; interactives, downloads
- Introductory web environment: overview, entertaining games & crafts, graphics. Full translation/explanation of Maoz Tzur. General website: page links to Xmas features.
Jewish Outreach Initiative
- Families, adults with little background
- 5 main categories, explanatory links
- “Do It Yourself” guideline, with stories, background information, recipes and customs presented in a fairly lighthearted manner
Jewish Theological Seminary of America [JTSA]
- Families, children, teachers.
- Introductory; leisure, fun
- 14 files, 3 categories
- Guidelines to use; introductory story & ideas with related games, eg on the Chanukiah, potato, svivon; recipes.
- Files are labelled Parent/Child/Together.
Macam [Levinksy Teachers' College]
- 9-12 [non-native English speakers]; 8-10 [native lang.]
- Intro. & leisure/fun/ study
- 1 long text file; line drawings, charts
- History, word puzzles, word games with dedicated lexicon, English songs, coded message, bingo, jumbled story etc; answers provided.
- Introductory and activity site
- “Fun” site with many activity files
- Traditional approach, very busy look aimed specifically at kids. Lots of background material, with pictures, audio files, greeting cards, games and activities. Requires Java plug-in for multimedia files
URJ Jewish Holidays
- Family, teachers, synagogue, early childhood, community leaders
- Intro. educationalwebsite for all family ages
- 7 internal sections with multiple content; 5 affiliated websites; some pdf files; sales resources
Parent newsletters with ideas; Nefesh celebration and worship ideas; all-in Chanukah guide with timeline and activity plans; Chanukah glossary; UJ press; music sales database
Webquest on the Macabees:
Students & Adults
- Teachers, adults, parents, students
- Overview of basics
- 1 file - main features explained
- Terms covered (mostly transliterations); sound files to download; laws, customs; latke recipe
Jewish Outreach Initiative
- Students, adults
- Basic site for people with little background
- Five main categories & explanatory links
- “DIY" guideline with stories; background information; recipes and customs presented in a fairly lighthearted manner
Torah Org [Project Genesis]
- Students and teachers, basic to advanced
- Learning and activity site
- 9 basic files, Online menorah, greeting card
- Introduction and background information, divrei Torah and insights. Orthodox/Traditional. DIY Chanukah cards.
Virtual Beit Midrash (Yeshivat Har Etzion)
- High-school to adult
- Audio files to listen to online or download
- Extensive selection of audio & video files for Hebrew & English speakers. Orthodox/ trad.
Hamakor – Web Shas: Aish Das Resource Library
- Family, teachers, adults
- Also links to an extensive list of Chanukah-related sites
- Orthodox; Jewish source references (Tanach, Talmud, Shulchan Arukh, etc.) for Halachic questions, wide range of material on Chanukah
- Families, parents, advanced students
- Overview and learning site
- Dozens of background & source files, shiurim, blessings in translation, audio files, some fun and lecture links
- Orthodox perspective on holidays from basics to advanced. Q & A, Extensive files and links to Shiurim and lectures from other web sites, plus brachot in Russian and International Sign Language. Fire & Safety guidelines
Midrash Ben Ish Hai
Haggadahs R Us
C. Powerpoint Presentations & Films
D. Link Hubs
- Teachers, youth leaders, families
- Database of educational resources, producers, distributors
- Reviews & Synopsis: “How-To” guidelines for teaching resources
- Reviews: 63 activity books, 24 Audio visual materials, “Who Stole Chanukah” software, 6 curricular programs, 48 games & kits, 23 plays & presentations, >100 teaching resources for all age groups.
Education Department, The Jewish Agency for Israel
Chanukah Fun & Trivia Guide
- Teachers, families, youth leaders
- Chanukah Links to quizzes, plays, songs, crafts
Holiday Home Pages
- Commercial site; Chanukah overview & activity; links
- Eighteen links & files - not all updated
- Eclectic links to many other sites; some internal files: background, customs, explanations, recipes. Humorous approach.