Town of Kuba, Azerbaijan, Synagogue
Six-domed synagogue of Georgian Jews, const. 1896; a historical an architectural landmark. Closed 1930. Used for food storage and by a sewing enterprise. Returned to the Jewish community in 1995. Renovated mainly with community funds and with some support from the JDC.
Vinnitsa, Former Lifshits Synagogue
Const. 1909-1913. Closed 1929. Until 1986 used by Vinnitsa Province Philharmonic, then for 5 years basically ownerless, fell into disrepair. 1991 given for use to Vinnitsa Jewish Culture Society. Until 1995 hardly a repair made. 1996-1997 renovation was carried out, mainly with JDC support.
Odessa. Synagogue on Osipova St.
Building received in 1993 by the Habad-Lubavich community of the city in place of the dilapidated synagogue on Gazovoy Pereulok. 1995 renovated with support from the JDC.
Kazan, Prayer House
Const. completed in 1915. Expropriated in 1930, became a house of culture for teachers. 1940 major reconstruction. 1996, after 6-year struggle, returned for use to the Jewish community. In leaving premises, previous owner caused serious damage: window frames broken, glass knocked out, harm caused to heating system and plaster. Building restored mainly with local contributions.
Omsk. Renovation of the Or hadash Synagogue
Two-storey wooden synagogue const. late 19th century. Closed in the 1930s. 1992 returned to ownership of the community. Victim of arson in 1994. 1995-1996 repaired with funds from local sponsors and the JDC.
Irkutsk. Renovation of the Prayer House
The former “Soldiers’” Synagogue, const. 1881. Closed 1934. 1947 2nd storey was returned to the community. 1991 1st storey was also returned. 1994 six Torah scrolls were stolen from the synagogue. Partial restoration has been undertaken.
Minsk. Jewish Community Building Complex on Dauman St.
1994 a group of three poorly preserved buildings which had not previously belonged to the Jewish community was given to it for use. In 1996 they became property of the community. In recent years the buildings have undergone gradual renovation. In addition to the JDC, other contributors to the effort have been the Albert Reichman Foundation of Canada, the Union of Jewish Businessmen of Belarus, and the Lauder Foundation.
Lvov, Synagogue on Bratya Mikhnovskie (formerly Moskovskaya) St. Renovation, 1999-2000
Opened in 1925. Architect: Albert Kornblut. During the Nazi occupation and after the war, was used as a storage depot. 1989 – returned to the Jewish community. Renovated mainly with JDC support and under the supervision of JDC engineers. Initial repairs were carried out 1995-1997. 1999-2000 saw a second, more complex and comprehensive renovation, which involved strengthening the rafters and covering the roof.
Kiev. The Brodsky Choral Synagogue
1898 construction was financed by the sugar magnate and philanthropist Lazar Brodsky. Closed 1926. Used as a children’s puppet theater. In late 1997, after a long struggle, returned to the Jewish community. Renovated basically with funding of local sponsors and with consideration given to current needs of the community (i.e. the size of the original prayer hall was reduced and a community center was constructed in part of the building). Also preserved was a one-story structure built later than the synagogue, in front of the main entrance. A succah is built on the roof of this structure for the holiday of Sukkot.