Jerusalem: From Destruction

Through this Century

 

 

The Hurva Synagogue (named for Rabbi Judah HaChassid) before the Jordanian occupation. The Hurva Synagogue after the Jordanian occupation.

The Medeba Map: A mosaic floor found in Medeba Trans Jordan. The map dates from the 6th century.

A birds-eye view of Jerusalem can be seen.

Close up on the Jerusalem section of the Medeba map. The Cardo runs north-south with Damascus gate on the left
[

Jerusalem 1854: View from the Mamilla pool; a closed Jaffa gate.

Kaiser Wilhelm's camp outside the Jaffa gate, 1898. The 19th century was drawing to a close, and Jerusalem's standing as an international city was rapidly increasing, to the extent that foreign emmisaries and diplomats were based there. Furthermore, the Jewish population in Jerusalem was constantly increasing - in 1874 there were 20,000 Jewish residents in the city. By 1912 the Jewish population had increased to 45,000.

 


 

 

Share                   PRINT    
22 Jul 2007 / 7 Av 5767 0