|From Sukkot to Simhat Torah|
Erev Simhat Bet HashoevaGila Ansell Brauner
There are two religious ceremonies and one celebration connected with water in the month of Tishrei:
Flowing water versus rainfall and conserved water - from solemnity to hope and celebration in national and spiritual life. Thus we approach the conclusion of the one month-plus period of soul-searching and begin in full the cycle of another year on Simhat Torah. (Please see background files on Sukkot.)
CHOICE OF ACTIVITY
The original Libation Ceremony was musical, with people dancing in the street with torches - a crowd celebration with water and wine being poured on the Temple altar, too.
Israeli kibbutzim tended to choose a staged presentation with readings, choruses, songs and water carriers; Festival prayers include excellent lyric poetry for readings; there are many traditional and modern Israeli songs referring to water...
HOW DOES ONE MAKE THIS JOYFUL, MEANINGFUL BUT NOT TOO SERIOUS OUTSIDE THE REALITY OF LIFE IN ISRAEL?
One recommendation is to enlarge the scope of the activity to make this your main programme over the Succot Festival, not entirely limited to the location of your Succah - unless it is extremely large!
The Flow Chart of your programme should look something like this:
See also: Short Games file.
We offer below a few examples of serious and humorous questions for your quiz; the answers to the serious challenges can be found in the background files.
1. For 5 points: give three main features for choosing a "beautiful" lulav.
2. For 5 points: give three main features for choosing an etrog.
3. For 5 points: give the main features for choosing hadassim [myrtle branches] and aravot [willow branches].
4. How many walls must a succah have? [2 points]
5. Explain where a succah may be built and where not [5 points]
6. How high may a succah be? [2 points]
7. How many times do we go round the bimah for "hosha'not"? [2 points]
8. Which mitzvot can we perform in the succah? [5 points]
9. What does the succah represent? [3 points]
10.Name 3 traditional Succot dishes you know. [3 points]
11.What special Megillah [book] do we read on Succot and when? [3 points]
12.What do each of the 4 species represent? [5 points]
13.Name two community customs associated with Hol Hamo'ed Succot [the intermediate days]. [3 points]
14.What do you say when your guests come into the Succah? and so on!
1. How many leaves in a lulav? [give 3 figures]
2. How many bumps on an etrog? [give 3 options]
3. How many meters / feet in the average 7 hakafot around the bima?
4. How many calories in a holishke?
5. Find out the record number of guests in the succot of the competitors!
6. What would you say to xxx if s/he were to visit your succah?
7. Your neighbor has brought a case against you for construction without planning permission [your succah!]. In court, the judge decided that you have to dismantle it within 8 days or pay a fine. What are you going to tell the news reporter outside?!!
8. Think of a slogan: [15 seconds simultaneously for all competitors] A succah is a place where ..... or Come to my succah because .....
9. Coca Cola have decided to sponsor a succah competition: how will you decorate your succah?
10.Name three succot you would like to visit in a super-succah crawl! and many, many more!