For each of the six main topics (Ellul, Rosh Hashanah, the Ten Days of Repentance, Yom Kippur, Succot and Shemini Atzeret / Simchat Torah) there are both teaching aids (for the teacher) and study material (for the student). Each teacher can use his or her own discretion on which to use , choosing study material appropriate to the level of the class.
The teacher can also incorporate any study material already available into the framework of the study system suggested in this series.
Exercises can be photo-copied according to the number of students in the class. The teacher might wish to make use of all the exercises, or may prefer to select from them.
The offline series includes pictures, posters, exercises, prayer cassettes, Halachic events, transparencies, and a video film.
The following teaching material and aids are included for the different sections of this series:
Ellul: Transparency showing Ellul as an acronym for different phrases.
Rosh Hashanah :
1. Books of exercises
b. Concertina-type book of exercises on celebration, laws, prayers.
c. Laws - for the very young.
d. Torah & Haftarah readings.
2. Childern's mahzor (including exercises on prayers)
3. Audio cassette containing prayers.
4. Pictures, and exercises.
5. Posters: names of the Festival; the Tishrei Festivals.
a. Musaf Amidah prayer.
b. Reasons for blowing the Shofar.
c. Structure of the Shofar sounds.
d. Special foods.
7. Lexicon of words and expressions connected with Rosh Hashanah.
Asseret Yemei HaTeshuvah - Ten Days of Repentance
1. Halachic events: refrain from wrong and do right! - values exercises, with sources
2. Pictures with exercises.
a. Duties ( Mitzvot ), the prayers.
b. Torah reading.
2. Pictures and exercises.
3. Audio cassette: the prayers.
4. Lexicon of words and expressions relating to Yom Kippur.
5. Children's Mahzor (including exercises on prayers).
6. Transparencies: The Yom Kippur services.
a. Living in the Succah.
b. The 'Arba'a Minim' - four species.
c. The duty to enjoy the Festival.
d. Torah reading.
2. Lexicon of words and expressions connected with Succot.
3. Transparencies: living in the Succah.
4. Laws of the Festival: booklet for the very young.
5. Posters: the laws of Succot.
6. Pictures, and exercises.
Shemini Atzeret & Simchat Torah
a. Included in the concertina-type book of exercises on Succot.
b. Torah reading, and exercises.
2. Laws of the Festival; booklet for the very young.
3. Pictures and exercises.
1. Posters of the Tishrei Festivals.
2. Video film.
3. The laws of the Tishrei Festivals (for the very young).
4. Pictures - the Tishrei Festivals.
Study Material in the Series
Study material in the series, for both outline study and in-depth study:
1. Part of the study material found in the series is intended for in- depth study, such as the following: the Shofar, the Succah, the lulav and Etrog, 'refrain from wrong and do right', and so on.
2. Part of the study material is intended for study in breadth, for revision and for a refresher course (see our suggestions on the previous page). Examples are:
a. A video film which presents very simply with words and sound a revision of the main topics of the Tishrei Festivals.
b. Transparency booklet, which summarises subjects such as the structure of the Shofar sounds, special food for Rosh Hashanah, reasons for blowing the Shofar, etc.
c. Cassette of Yamim Noraim (High Holiday) Prayers.
In this series we have presented the teaching team with all the information required for preparing a progressive syllabus.
The main topics, the key words and expressions, laws and customs, prayers, basic ideas, activities and educational aims will help the teachers to convey the educational messages hidden in the key words, laws, prayers. The study material in the series will help the teachers to teach the various topics.
All the material in the series is intended, not as classroom- ready material for the teacher to use page by page and line by line, but rather as a basis for the teacher himself or herself to adapt, develop and add to, in accordance with his or her individual requirements.