Partnership 2Gether was established in 1994 by the Jewish Agency for Israel, United Jewish Communities and Keren Hayesod/UIA. The program links Jewish communities abroad and regions in Israel in a mutual effort to strengthen Israeli society while promoting unity and Jewish identity. At present, 45 Israeli regions are linked to over 500 communities worldwide. Programs are planned and budgeted on an individual region basis and are approved by a regional steering committee composed of residents of the region and representatives of the linked communities from abroad.
The Karmiel-Misgav region is situated in the Galilee's center. The city of Carmiel encompasses an area of 24 square kilometers, with the sub-urban Misgav Regional Council covering 190 square kilometers. Misgav features 29 community villages and 6 Bedouin villages.
Misgav and Karmiel residents frequent the greater Haifa area as their primary business and services metropolis. Haifa's proximity to the region generates a spill-over effect stimulating development in Karmiel-Misgav. The region is also a key "crossing-point" between Haifa and the northern and eastern Galilee.
Karmiel- Misgav- Pittsburgh’ “Partnership 2Gether” has been active since 1994.
The bonds between the Karmiel-Misgav area and the Jewish Community of Greater Pittsburgh have continued for more than 15 years and produced numerous programs aimed at advancing the area's welfare.
In recent years, changes have occurred in the Jewish People in Israel and the Diaspora. On one hand, decreased numbers in the Diaspora, an estrangement from the State of Israel, while on the other, a strengthened State of Israel in light of the achievements and challenges facing Israeli society, changes in the shared discourse between Diaspora Jewry in general and us and in particular with our partners in the Pittsburgh Jewish Community.
It is clear to us that the personal contact, face-to-face relationships between teens, young people and adults, professionals from a variety of fields, educators and others is the key to enhancing Jewish Identity and bonds with the State of Israel in Israel and communities abroad. Many of the partnership programs create a platform that enables a direct discourse with friends and partners in Pittsburgh and makes the Karmiel-Misgav area, the "home" in Israel for the Pittsburgh Jewish Community.
Within the "Partnership 2Gether Karmiel-Misgav-Pittsburgh" framework there are numerous programs aimed at providing substance to the words of the vision.
The partnership operates a variety of programs in the fields of reciprocal relations between young people and adults, and others intended to serve as a catalyst for regional economic and community development.
In this spirit, the partnership this year is operating the following programs:
• Branding the region as a tourism destination - a sculpture park in Karmiel, continued development of the Partnership 2000 Trail and
• Further encouragement and development of the area of cycling
• Creating relationships between business executives from the 3 partner communities
• Support in the establishment of a Youth Center in Misgav
• Delegation Hospitality - a program to bring delegations or individual volunteers from the partner community to facilitate their visit in Israel to meet the mutual need of getting to know one another, strengthen their relationship with Israel and the region and develop personal relations and bonds. The highlight of this project will be the "Mega-Mission" with an estimated 250 people scheduled for June 2012.
• Young Ambassadors/Diller - the formulation of a group of young people from a representative viewpoint, a joint seminar in Pittsburgh and a seminar in Israel, including hospitality in the partner communities and an International Youth Congress
• Counselors from the area (post-army service) to work at Pittsburgh JCC summer camps
• Departure of the Spirit of Israel Teen Delegation to participate in Israel Memorial Day and Independence Day events in Pittsburgh
• Hosting a delegation of Jr. Counselors from Pittsburgh by their Israeli counterparts in the area
• Educational programs for creating bonds between students from partner communities surrounding the areas of ecology and the environment
• Creating relationships between students and young people from the 3 partner communities
• The Jewish Spirit in the Galilee - development and promotion of a Jewish Identity and a Global Jewish Connection
• A Dancing Partnership- connecting people through dance that will be taught in Israel and in Pittsburgh and performed as a mass folkdance during the Pittsburgh Mega-Mission in June 2012
The partnership is managed through a Joint Steering Committee headed by a group of four lay leadership chairpersons, two from Pittsburgh, one each from Karmiel and Misgav. The committee is responsible for outlining the strategy of the annual work plan. The Steering Committee is aided in its work by a number of subcommittees comprised of public representatives and volunteers, all of whom are charged with the initiation, execution and auditing of the Partnership's annual work plan.
The Partnership's professional staff includes the Partnership Director, Operations Coordinator and "Gesher Le'Kesher" coordinator, responsible for actual execution of the Partnership's work plan.